A few days ago we reported that the Chronic Dev Team was close to releasing the mother load of all jailbreaks, an untethered jailbreak solution for iOS 5.1.1. As promised the Absinthe 2.0 jailbreak is now available for the masses, and ready for all iOS owners running iOS 5.1.1.
For those new to jailbreaking their iDevices, what makes this jailbreak so great is the fact it is untethered. This means that your jailbreak will persist even after the device is rebooted. Tethered jailbreaks do not afford this luxury, and are generally a bigger pain to use than untethered jailbreaks.
In order to use the Absinthe 2.0 untethered jailbreak, you must have one of the following devices running iOS 5.1.1:
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPod Touch 3rd Generation
- iPod Touch 4th Generation
- iPad 1
- iPad 2 (except iPad 2 model 2,4)
- iPad 3rd Generation
To jailbreak your iOS device running iOS 5.1.1:
- Backup your iDevice to your computer or iCloud (just in case) using the sync cable.
- Once you are backed up, go Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings. This step is optional but recommended to make the jailbreak much faster. Don’t worry, the backup you made in the first step will restore your content and settings later.
- Download the Absinthe 2.0 tool (download links below). Be sure your iDevice is still connected to your computer via the USB sync cable.
- In Absinthe 2.0, click “Jailbreak” and wait a few minutes (be patient!)
- If you did step 2, once your iDevice reboots and is recognized by iTunes, then right-click on your device name and select “Restore from Backup” and select the backup you created in step 1. This will restore your content and settings.
- Enjoy your new jailbroken iDevice!
The Absinthe 2.0 tool is available for download for Mac, PC (Windows), and Linux. Here are the download links:
- Download for Mac OS-X (10.5/10.6/10.7)
- Download for Windows (XP/Vista/WP7)
- Download for Linux (x86/x86_64)
Have you jailbroken your iOS device with Absinthe 2.0? Let us know how it went in the comments!